Wednesday, June 11, 2014

From special to snubbed

Man, two year olds can really be hot and cold.

Last night Hannah and I shared a moment that felt very special to me. I was sitting on the floor and she got behind me, put her arms around me, and started rocking me. Then, she broke out into song: "Rock-a-bye, mommy, on the treetop..." She doesn't know all the words so she improvised. It was incredible. I sat there with her little arms around my neck, cherishing the sweetness, feeling like the luckiest.

But, less than half a day later, I woke up to hear her telling daddy that she didn't want much of anything to do with me.

"Let's go wake up mommy," Jason said to Hannah.

"No mommy," she said sternly.

"Well, let's have mommy come get you dressed," Jason told her.

"NO!" She said. "I NO WANT MOMMY!"

Ouch.

Yes, I realize she's two. But it still doesn't feel good to be snubbed! She continued to tell him that she didn't want to see me, didn't want me to change her pants (which is normally fine by me), didn't want me to help her brush her teeth or do her hair or pick out her clothes or do anything.

"Daddy do it!" she said repeatedly.

How can we go from special "rock-a-bye mommy" time to this? I'm sure she will be excited to see me later today when I pick her up from daycare, but it still hurt my feelings. Sometimes I feel like no matter what I do, she will always prefer her father. I know she loves me and needs me and everything, but I wish she would light up for me the way she lights up for him. I am grateful she loves him so much and he definitely deserves her affection. I just have a hard time sometimes when I feel like I'm on the junior varsity team. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts! You don't need any sort of Google account or otherwise to post a comment.