Saturday, October 20, 2012

Six years ago today, we legitimized our codependency.

What were you doing six years ago today?

Jason and I were doing this kind of stuff:
Holy matrimony!
Now I'm not saying that six years of anything makes you an expert, but here's what I've learned about marriage...

It's not easy, but it doesn't have to be that hard either. Sure, it takes work. Maintaining anything takes work. But I think the two things that make it a heck of a lot easier are good communication and having fun together. Jason and I communicate about everything. I'm very fortunate to have a man who will work to resolve an issue with me until it's done. While it may not always be what I want to hear, it's always necessary to hear it, whatever it is. Honestly, the only person who always agrees with me is me. Beyond that, I can't expect to always be right. Jason and I also have a ridiculous amount of fun together. We even combined our mutual interest in music and created a band (www.rutherfordrockproject.com).

The couple that plays together, stays together
There are so many reasons why I married Jason. For one, he is incredibly genuine. I don't think he knows how to be fake. And he sucks at lying, so he never really tries. When he does it's painfully obvious and hilarious. He's just such a good person. He makes me feel safe.
Hearts
Jason is very active. In fact, he has self-diagnosed ADHD and won't stop moving. Ever. The good news about that is sometimes he takes me along on his quest to keep going, and we wind up some pretty cool places.
Rutherfords in Rome

Together in Paris
He's a fun-lover and tends to be incredibly goofy. He's not afraid to do the worm in public or sing Bon Jovi at a bar even though he couldn't hit a note if he flung a boulder at it.
Eyes off the prize, ladies
It's so important in a marriage to make time for each other, and while Jason carries a pretty hefty work load, he does what he can to make sure we spend time together as often as possible. He makes for a great date and some nice arm candy.
How sweet it is
Finally, he takes care of the beautiful little baby we made together and his fuzzy buddy Benson.
Our family
Jason in a holiday sweater vest and Princess Santa hat holding our petrified and tremendously fat dog

I can't help but think how lucky I am to have had him in my life for nine years and my legally exclusive dude for six. I totally married up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts! You don't need any sort of Google account or otherwise to post a comment.